POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : bad flickering : Re: bad flickering Server Time
20 Jul 2024 15:19:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: bad flickering
From: Jérôme Grimbert
Date: 5 Feb 2002 05:46:42
Message: <3C5FB811.3B3D73D5@atosorigin.com>
Emmanuel Tatto wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying, for quiet a time, to do a 25fps trailer base on a fly-by
> rendered with PoV. But, I've always went up with a clip with an awful
> flickering, it's like to see 2 pictures at the same time. I think I've tried
> all th possible things,:
>     - source in interlace, output in interlace
>     - source in non-interlace, output in non-interlace
>     - and all the possible combinaition
>     - de-interlaced
>     - 3:2 pulldown
>     - etc...
> It always end up the same : !!! FLICKERING !!!
>

> Oh, I forget : I'm using TMPEnc to make a SVCD compliance MPEG-2, 480x576,
> 25fps. The animation is 12 seconds, with 300 frames, which makes it 25
> fps...

Looks like you are doing Pal encoding, so 3:2 pulldown is really of no use
for you. (it was made for NTSC 29.97 vs Movie 24).

Which hardware are you using to display the Mpeg2 ?
 (Because I experimented with H+ on TV and some (! not all) sequences
 do generate flickering of the lower part (about 1/3) when view on TV)

With Pov image source at 25 fps, you should use progressive source and
progressive output (a.k.a non-interlaced).

Does the flickering appears in a low action or a high action part of the
movie ?

Have you enable VBR ? or are you still with CBR ?
What is bitrate when flickering occurs ?

--
Non Sine Numine
http://grimbert.cjb.net/